Friday 28 April 2017

28th April - mostly high cloud, little breeze/still, 13C

This morning 2 Goldfinch now appear to have taken up residence in the fields to the east, and a super looking male Linnet was present.

In the afternoon I visited Stanford reservoir, almost immediately I could hear the Cuckoo singing.  It kept moving around the area, unfortunately I could not get a decent photo, only a distant one when it perched in the top of a Popular tree. if you look carefully you can make it out just left of middle top.

At the inlet 2 Little-ringed and a single Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin and 6 Lapwing were present.  Further on the Greenshank was feeding in the bay as was a Whimbrel.  The Whimbrel was feeding along the shore and eventually walked in front of the hide.


A Garden Warbler was singing nearby and I waited to see if I could get a photo, but it never showed well enough. However, a few hirundines were flying around over and on looking closer I could see my first Swift of the year with them.

A couple of Pochard and tufted Duck were present, the Long-tailed Duck was still with them, its been here 4 months now, a record stay.

There was plenty to see today and I managed to see about 55 species.





No comments:

Post a Comment