Sunday 7 January 2018

7th Jan -Sunny & Cold

A frost last night -2, ground hard.  At last a sunny day, cold Light NE, 4C.

Willey; a check of the feed station this morning produced most of the regulars, still a max of 6 tree Sparrows. I've 4 Grey Squirrels helping themselves to food now, so some preventative action is needed.

Monks Kirby; next a check on the finch flock on the winter wheat field.  There was about 50 Chaffinch feeding and 1 Brambling.  Also, more Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch were widely scattered in the area. A Coal Tit was singing from the lane side trees.

Cottesbrooke;  I ventured, after lunch, here to catch-up with Hawfinch which have been seen here for several days now.  I parked up and walked down Station road to find others near the bus shelter surveying the trees where the Hawfinch had often been reported.  it felt quite cold here and I had forgotten my warm woolly hat, so went back to the car for it. When I turned round I spotted a Hawfinch fly in to a nearby tree, then 2 more appeared.  I quickly walked back to wave the others to come, fortunately the birds showed well and they all had good views, for some their first Hawfinch sighting.  I managed some record digiscoped photos of a male in the tree top.




Also seen included 3 Red Kite, 2 Buzzards, a Sparrowhawk, 2 Nuthatch, a Great-spotted Woodpecker Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch and Tit species.

No comments:

Post a Comment