Monday 26 March 2018

26th March - sunny intervals, light WSW, 12C

Willey; the Goldcrest was singing frequently in the Church large Yew tree, with Goldfinches showing interest in the Horse Chestnut where they often nest. At least 4 Tree Sparrows, a Coal Tit, 5 Chaffinch, 3 Yellowhammers plus other usual were visiting the feed station.

Shawell lagoons, a brief look here this afternoon, usual candidates, 85 Wigeon was good, and 5 Great-crested Grebes - lots of territory/pairing going on.

Stanford reservoir; now we have lighter evenings and it was reasonably pleasant a look here for evening migrants.  Two Lapwing were displaying at the inlet end, there display, whooshing wings and calls is always a great sight to see. All was peace and quite, then all the Gulls and Ducks went up from their roosting, I soon heard - then saw why - 2 very low RAF C130 Hercules flew directly over the reservoir southward, also over Chris who was nearby.  Eventually, the birds settled back down and I continued searching through the Gulls.  Whilst doing so I noticed 4 Sand Martins flying over the water feeding, my first for the year.  The Gulls were 95% Common and 5% Black-headed Gulls, even by the time I left no'large' Gulls had come to roost.  I presume they have decided to go to Draycote Water.
I counted 21 Goldeneye this evening on the reservoir.

(Photo C Hubbard)

No comments:

Post a Comment