Saturday 15 October 2016

14th Oct (Welney WWT) - Cloudy, light breeze, 12C

I made my way to the WWT reserve at Welney on the Ouse washes today.  Naturally plenty of duck were showing on the pools, surprisingly a drake mandarin duck was also present on the island sitting in front of the main hide.  No Whooper Swans were present about from a few that had summered here, probably due to having injury preventing flight, a pair did breed though.  Obviously there was plenty of our feral Canada and Grey Lag Geese, additionally I found three European White-fronted Geese which have arrived for the winter.

Several waders were found, many Snipe, a few Black-tailed Godwit, two Ringed Plover and a single Ruff.  A couple of Water Rail were calling from the reeds.

Three Marsh Harriers and several Kestrel were hunting the meadows

On the furthest field several Cranes were feeding, often out of view behind the vegetation, but sometimes good views were had, I could see 13.  Then, when I was walking along the track returning I heard the Cranes calling and 14 flew directly over me, a great sight.

A mixed flock of about 100 Redwing and 20 Fieldfare were flying around looking for a resting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment