Monday 13 February 2017

13th Feb Norfolk - sunny, stiff easterly, 7C, feeling cold

Headed off to Norfolk this morning. It was good to see several Red Kites en route.

First target was to find the Shore Lark at Holkham beach, it was very crowded when I got there, I forgot it was school holidays, I met two others who had been looking, they told me they had not found them to the east after two hours.  I headed west away from the crowds and dogs and amazingly very soon found the flock feeding with Skylark and Meadow Pipits.  They are really smart birds and we're we're very actively feeding.  I managed a few record photos, here's a selection





The wind and cold was really unpleasant so I decided to head inland towards Lynford arboretum to see the Hawfinch and to stop on the way to see a Great Grey Shrike that had been reported.  At the Shrike site a number of distant people were moving up the track where it was, however they flushed the bird and it disappeared over the hedge and lost to view - better luck next time!

At the arboretum there was a good selection of birds, a flock of Siskin, Brambling with Goldfinch and Chaffinch too.  Great, Blue and Coal Tits were numerous, a Marsh Tit was calling and flew in to the bush next to me.  A Song Thrush was singing full voice.  Looking across the paddock towards the conifer wood several Hawfinch had arrived and were sitting in the tree tops, eventually dropping in to the trees to roost, several more followed giving good views, I saw about 10 from my location.

No comments:

Post a Comment