Wednesday 22 February 2017

22nd Feb - cloudy, mod-freshening NW/W, mild 13C

I was passing the landfill site this afternoon so I stopped to see if I could find any of the scarce Gulls.  I have often mentioned the landfill site at Cotesbach and today it was really busy with Gulls as filling continued.  Not always picturesque sites hold 'good' birds, as you can see from the following photos.


These photos show only a small portion of the Gulls visiting the landfill, there were many hundred flying and taking a drink/preen/rest at the pools which are nearby in the sand quarry.  Easily 2000-3000 Gulls were in attendance, however I did not succeed in finding a Iceland or Glaucous Gull among them.

In one Gull flock circling over the area a Red Kite joined in, sometimes being harassed by the larger Gulls.

A Green Sandpiper was feeding on the nearby field pools.

No comments:

Post a Comment