Saturday 4 November 2017

3rd Nov - mostly cloudy, very light SW, 13C

Willey; Ring Ouzel - I spent some time this morning watching my feed station area and thick hedges around the church area.  There was clearly a fall of Blackbirds last night (another spinney earlier held a good number and later I heard that Holme in Norfolk had a fall too), there were several in the hedge and moving in to the church yard to eat the Yew berries, plus a few Redwings.  After a while of watching the coming and goings of Thrushes a ‘blackbird’ flew Up on to the hedge top, it seemed different and instinctively I raised my binoculars to view, it was a lovely female Ring Ouzel, it flew in to the church yard Yew Tree, after 10mins or so I saw it flew back in to the hedge and out of view. A great surprise and my first local patch record.

Stanford Reservoir; a look here in the afternoon, plenty of Redwing and Fieldfare were in the bushes. Four Snipe flew over and landed somewhere further down.  The Black-tailed Godwit was on the point.  All the usual birds were around, maybe more Wigeon, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye had arrived.  A Kingfisher zipped by with a small fish and a Grey Wagtail flew passed calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment