Tuesday 1 January 2019

1st Jan 2019 - cloudy/drizzle alittle am, broken cloud pm, light NW, 9C

Happy New Year

Cotesbach Landfill; a look here this morning, Carl was already there and had seen both the 2W and adult Glaucous Gulls, however nearby shooting had flushed most of the Gulls away.   After a little searching I re-found the 2W Glaucous and was able to view it well and get record photos.

Carl also spotted a Green Sandpiper, which is always a good winter record. Several Shoveler and Teal were also present.

Shawell Lagoons; I checked here as the Gulls sometimes re-group here when disturbed, although there was a good number of Gulls no further 'white-wingers'.  There was a large number of Lapwing present, I counted 560.

Pitsford reservoir; I decided to have a walk here as its quite a big reserve area and provides lots of habitat, plus a pleasant area for a walk.  Some scarce birds have been around so maybe I would see one if still present. At the feed station area there was Chaffinch, Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrows and Reed Bunting, plus Blue and great Tits.  A Few Redwing and Fieldfare were on the nearby pasture.
I had heard the Ring-necked Duck had been seen from a local birder so I decided to scan the area towards Walsgrave Bay.   There was a good number of Ducks present and being such a large area scanning the area takes a while. After about 20 mins I found the Ring-necked Duck with a group of Tufted Duck and had good views.,  Also, in the area 3 Great White Egrets.

I had also heard there was a Great northern Diver on the main water, so I headed off along the east side, the sun had broken through and all looked splendid.  I did find the Diver near Pintail Bay, it was heading towards the narrows.  It was busy fishing so was under the water more than above, I did managed some quick record photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment