Monday 31 December 2018

31st Dec - mostly cloudy, light SW, 9C

Well we end the year still on a  mild note, little sun and low rainfall - what will the new year bring?

Cotesbach Landfill; mid morning I decided to have a look here (then maybe the lagoons - but I didn't make there), there were thousands of Gulls all over the sandpit and landfill area, mostly sitting around, quite tightly bunched so careful searching was needed. After about half an hour I search I spotted a Iceland Gull - second winter probably. I had to look twice as I was expecting to see the 2W Glaucous, so this Iceland Gull is definitely new to the area.  Although fairly distant it showed well through the scope and I managed record photos before it flew off back to the landfill area out of sight.





Stanford reservoir; after lunch a visit here to fill the feeders and a look.  Fairly quiet due to the weather we've had/got but still a Great Egret and 2 Little Egrets were good to see, 2 drake Red-crested Pochard in the bay and 27 Shoveler, 6 Teal and 20+ Goldeneye.  Along the by-pass path a couple of Long-tailed Tit flocks (c20), single Fieldfare and a Treecreeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment