Sunday 25 July 2021

25th July - mostly cloudy, light N, 22C

Willey; this morning there was 35 Swallows on the wires and around home as it warmed, plus others elsewhere, great to see the families flying around together.

Ann B saw a Hedgehog in their garden a couple of days ago, so we still have a small population here.

I saw a super male Redstart on the fence posts at the top fields, 1135h.  I don't think I've had an autumn migrant in July before.

Soar Brook Lake; WeBs count today, still a pair of Oystercatchers present.  14 Goldfinches were feeding on the weeds.

Eyebrook reservoir; a trip here this afternoon.  
I saw something I have not seen before.  A Fox was working the reeds and waters edge along the inlet stream, a little later I could not believe it was actually swimming across the stream, to the other side, with its head just above the water and submerged totally except for a little rear back, it looked very confident swimming.  I have only ever seen them trying to avoid getting wet in the past!

Birds included - Great Egret, several Little Egrets, two Grey herons, a Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, to Green Sandpipers, a Garganey (female/eclipse male?), two Snipe, a Little Ringed plover,  Plenty of Gadwall, a single Shoveler, a few Teal.




No comments:

Post a Comment