Friday 16 September 2016

16th Sept - a fresher day with light rain during the morning, light NW, 18C

Last night I set up my moth lamp, a pleasant warm, still evening I thought would be just fine.  By 2300h I had only three moths caught, two 'brown' jobs and one Dusty Thorn (common species).  So, where are the moths?  Two Tawny Owls were began calling from the nearby trees.

Today was back to typical September weather, the young Swallows decided to stay in the shed/nest and let their parents do the 'food' run for them.  About 25 others were sitting the rain out on the wires for a time.  Late morning these and a couple of House Martins were feeding over the village.

Just after 0900h a single Snipe was flying around, probably heading for the local pond.  About 1000h 12 Meadow Pipit flew over southward, migrating as yesterday.

A Green Woodpecker called and again the Goldcrest with Tits was in the Church Yew tree.

Yesterday, I also heard a single Mistle Thrush, I've still not seen any family flocks in the fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment