Tuesday 20 September 2016

20th Sept - sunny spells, very light westerly breeze, 18C

About 40 Swallows were sitting on the telegraph wires this morning.  A couple of Mistle thrush flew from the Holly tree in the Paddock.  I expect they are staking their claim on it for the early winter food.

I visited Stanford reservoir during the afternoon for a couple of hours, one of the first creatures was a Red Admiral butterfly, the only other species I saw was Speckled Wood.  Quite a lot of Southern Hawker dragonfly were about too.
On the water there was only about half the Wigeon than the last visit, one female Shoveler, a couple of Gadwall and six Pochard were dotted about.  However, the best find on my return walk was two female Pintail, not found too often here, so a nice find, although too far away for a decent photo, but you can make the typical shape out in the photo below.

In the scrub area two Lesser Whitethroat called and a good number of CHiffchaff were around, on;y one Blackcap was heard giving the alarm call.

As I made my way to the dam a Kingfisher flew passed me calling and could be heard on several occasions.  At the dam the hoped for Common Sandpiper was feeding and preening, a single Grey Wagtail was on the overflow wall.  I had already seen about 40 each of Swallow and House Martin around the reservoir feeding and drinking, when I heard the Swallows above me calling excitedly, looking up I saw a Hobby slowly circling not far above me, it slowly drifted along the reservoir.  The light was awful for a photo above me, but the silhouette is useful to show off the bird.
A pleasant walk and some good sightings in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment