Thursday 8 September 2016

8th Sept - Sunny periods, 20C, slightly fresher breeze today, SW

Last night, while enjoying a drink in the local - a warm evening so the door was open - a large (~ 2cm) Cricket/hopper flew in and landed on the bar post.  A light brown colour all over, not too knowledgeable on these insects, need to do some digging.  However, today in one field I spotted a very small (~3mm) bright green 'hopper', then this afternoon in another meadow there were many, hundreds, of similar sized 'hoppers' skipping out of the way as I walked.  I assume these small ones are young, but I know little of their life history so need to read-up.

I only saw ~ 40 Swallows around today, the numbers should drop now, last year my last one in the village was on the 4th October - depends when the young leave the last nest this year.

I did hear the Nuthatch, Coal Tits, Goldcrests and two Treecreepers in the local wood when I walked past this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment