Saturday 16 September 2017

16th Sept - cloudy, light fine drizzle am, 12C, light breeze NW

Willey; I counted 14 Swallows flying around, some adults were catching food and feeding the juvs on the wing.  Several Chiffchaffs were about singing too.

Late afternoon a villager told me he has seen a Barn Owl at the old shed across the fields, hopefully it will stay awhile.  About 1930h I positioned myself near the field gate overlooking the area and waited until dark, the Owl did not appear.  While waiting a number of bats fed around the hedge and field, one likely a Pipistrelle or similar another was a lager bats with a different flight, unknown species (I'll have to take the detector).  Also, a Fox walked up the field, unaware of me, and was scent marking.


Mere Lane Lake; I popped in here for a quick look mid-morning. Little Grebes, Mute Swan family, Tufted Duck, Coot and Moorhen were on the water.  Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler in the bushes with the usual Tits and Goldcrest. Three Reed Warblers were still present in the reeds, calling and popping up, a Reed Bunting was nearby too.  A Jay was in the trees adjacent calling loudly.

A colour ringed Reed Warbler I mentioned a couple of weeks ago was ringed at Brandon marsh - still waiting for full information though.

Shawell Lagoons; some Gull watching here during the afternoon.  A good number of LBBGs, some with colour rings that Carl was busy reading, at least 3 were ringed in the Channel Islands. several Herring Gull and at least 5 GBBGs were present, 5+ Yellow legged Gulls and a Caspian Gull.

News of a colour ringed LBBG I read - J374L - in August is that it was ringed 12/7/16 as a chick at Udvaare in Norway, about 817 Km direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment