Tuesday 5 September 2017

5th Sept - dull, cloudy light rain am, sunny spells pm before showers, 21C

Willey; 25-39 Swallows on the wires this morning.

Stanford reservoir; After lunch I headed here, hoping for the Whinchat that have been here a few days.  On reachng their usual field area I quickly spotted 2 sitting on vegetation and catching insects. I managed some record photos through the heat haze without getting too close to disturb them.



As I walked towards the field along the hedge path there was a number of roving flocks of Tits, Chiffchaff and Willow Warblers, at one point I heard a Redstart call and after a few moments it flew from the hedge in to the waterside Willows chased by a Whitethroat.  Although a brief view it was good to see, as usually the only chance to see one is when netted for ringing and this year they have caught several over the last couple of weeks.

A Hobby flew over catching insects before flying off, maybe the last I'll see this year.  A Little Egret was on the islands along with many lapwing and ducks.  A Green Sandpiper was on the weir at the inlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment