Saturday 23 September 2017

23rd Sept -Mistle Thrush- cloudy, slowly brightening by pm, 15C

Willey; at least 6 Swallows and at least 1 House Martin over the fields this morning.  Mid-morning 6 Mistle Thrushes flew in to the Holly tree, it is loaded with berries this year.

Rutland Water -Egleton; I decided to visit Rutland water for the afternoon, there had been an American Wigeon here for a while which I was hoping to find.  On the way near  Stockerston I noticed 8 Red Kites over a recently cultivated field.

Once at Rutland Water I headed off to lagoon 2, it was covered in Wigeon so my task of finding an American Wigeon in eclipse plumage was challenging.  Needless to have a very considerable time of searching throughout the afternoon I could not find it.  Other duck present included Pintail, Gadwall and Teal.

Two Hobby were hunting insect prey, sometimes passing very close giving superb views.   There were many insects and Dragonflies about for them to catch.


Generally things were very quiet, on lagoon 4 the only waders were Lapwing and a single Greenshank. Walking to lagoon 2  I could see 2 Great (white) Egret standing on an island.


No comments:

Post a Comment