Wednesday 11 November 2015

11th November - Cloudy, moderate SW/W, sometimes gusty, mild 15C

As I was passing nearby Frolesworth, I popped in to the lake there, which can turn-up some interesting sightings.  A single Great Crested Grebe was on the lake with some tufted Duck and Coots, also about 20 Black-headed Gulls.  One of these gulls was completely white with jet black wing primaries, a small black circular head spot, bright red legs and bill, very noticeable and unlike a typical B-H Gull.  There were only a few finches about, four Reed Buntings and several Skylarks on the adjacent stubble field.

I noticed one Ladybird out today, so not all hibernating yet.  Definitely more Redwing feeding on the church Yew tree berries today.  A Great Spotted Woodpecker and Nuthatch were at the feed station.

During the afternoon I had a walk at the local reservoir, duck numbers were generally down today, only ~15 Wigeon and 16 Gadwall, 50 Pochard and 70 Tufted Duck present, the Teal and Shoveler were absent, nine Goldeneye were still there and three drake Red-crested Pochard.  Mute Swans numbered ~30 and 100 Grey Lag Geese were as noisy as ever.

Around the reservoir and neighbouring fields there were at least 200 Fieldfare and 40 Redwing feeding on the berries and stubble, also, many Rook, Jackdaw and Carrion Crow.  A Buzzard and Kestrel were flying around, generally being harassed by the crows.

While walking along the path I noticed a Hare feeding, so I decided to stalk and get a photo, as I slowly got closer a second hare popped through the hedge some 20 feet in front of me, I manage photos of the first and second Hare.


A little further along the path were some further interesting Fungi, yet to formally identify.




No comments:

Post a Comment