Thursday 14 July 2016

14th July - Sunny periods, light SW, 22C max

I decided to have a look at a local site this morning as it one of the few places remaining near to me where Spotted Flycatcher can be found  - with patience.  On arrival there seemed quite a lot of bird activity in the wooded area.  Nuthatch, lots of Goldcrest, singing Coal Tit, Great-spotted and Green Woodpecker.  Very slowly I made my way along the lane looking carefully over the lake area, extensive gardens and wooded area.  The edge of the wood was in the sunshine and looked great for a Spotted Fly, nothing - so I moved further on to the end of the lane, then re-traced my route.  Back at the wood edge a Spotted Fly flew out and caught food.  I was able to watch it for quite a while, sometimes high up near the tree tops.  It often disappeared in to the wood and then came back, maybe taking food to a nest.  All was fine until a Buzzard flew in to the wood which made it become agitated and moved off deeper in to the wood often giving the alarm call.

This evening was the best 'summer-like' evening we have had for ages, A fledged Pied wagtail was still pestering its parents for food on the village hall roof.  At least 30 Swallows were flying overhead against the setting sun.  I now know I have four youngsters in my Swallow nest and possibly one pair has returned to a nest that was raided earlier, we shall see.

When doing some work in the veg garden I noticed several fungus, I believe these to be a Shaggy Parasol type, Chlorophyllum brnneum, that is found in rich soils and compost heaps.  However, if you know differently please let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment