Tuesday 19 July 2016

19th July - Hot, sunny, 33C, light breeze

Not quite record breaking, but pretty dammed hot today!

This morning a Whitethroat was still singing in the road hedge towards cross-in-hand-roundabou, also a Yellowhammer was singing most of the day.  A Mistle Thrush was heard just to the east of the village.

The Swallows were not in their shed this morning, so must have flown early, maybe they will be back to roost tonight.  An update, this afternoon I noticed about 15 young Swallows sitting on the wires in the village nearby, then this evening about 10 flew around the yard and entered the shed, much noise and excitement, before they all left.  I'm sure the nesting family will be back to roost later this evening, I'll leave them alone.

I popped to Wolvey to check for Spotted Flycathcer this morning, every time there seems disturbance when I go, lawn mowing today. I though I heard a SF call once, but I would like to have seen/heard it again to be sure.  I'll keep trying as there're is still time for youngster, or even migrants in the autumn.

There were a good number of Dragonflies about over the wetland reserve pond, I need to check my photos.
Male Black-tailed Skimmer
Female Black-tailed Skimmer

I visited Stanford reservoir this afternoon, the heat was a bit too much and I think most wildlife were sheltering too.  The eclipse drake Goldeneye, a single drake Pochard still, the usual flock of Greylag and Canada Geese.  A single Common Tern sat on the duck decoy, a single heron on the point and three Cormorant.  Swallows chased a bird or prey, could not see what, but probably a Sparrowhawk, from the noise they were making.

Linnet, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, Redd Warbler were all seen or heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment