Friday 25 November 2016

25th Nov - Sunny, 8C, mod-steady e/NE wind

A lovely sunny day which has got out of the dull and wet spell.

This morning there were seven+ Moorhen in the back field, they have learnt that there is plenty of food around the various chicken and farm pens nearby.
About 0900h nine Lapwing were flying slowly NW past the village.  We have lost our big (1000+) winter Lapwing flocks from this area and rarely see any flying over, although occasionally a feather or two can be found.  Small numbers, a few hundred, do winter a little further away though.

During the afternoon I visited Stanford reservoir hoping to see and maybe get a photo of the Hen Harrier. Initially I walked along the Northants side next to the fallow field so I could see the res and the fields.  I had stopped and was counting and checking the duck when the Hen Harrier flew across the bay in front of me, then over the hedge in to the fallow field, quite good views, but not long enough to get a photo.

On the reservoir the duck numbers were good and the usual species present.  Teal numbers remain high at 24+ and it was nice to see 17 Goosander, only three males though.

Next was to head to the old railway track to view the valley along which the Harrier flies to roost.  I decided to view a field on the south side first (it was reported here the other day).  As I walked along the track a Merlin dashed along the track in front of me then in to the field.  Harrier not there, so I headed back to my usual spot.  At 1542h the Hen Harrier appeared and duly flew past, I managed some quick record photos as the Harrier was 'harried' by a Carrion Crow and flew by quickly.  Just look at the shape and size difference between the two.





No comments:

Post a Comment