Saturday 5 November 2016

5th Nov - cloudy, feeling cold, NW light/mod wind, 9C

This morning I had a quick look around the local lake, The main hope being that the food bushes may be attractive to Waxwings.  A good number have made their way to the east coast over the last week or two and some are now spreading across the country.  Of course most years we don't get many, if any, so this year we need to keep searching our Midland areas.   From there I moved to Lutterworth country park, again, an area planted with possible food trees.  Needless to say, neither location held Waxwings, but early days.

During early afternoon I visited Shawell lagoons, fewer gulls than hoped for, a lot were on local fields and also a Fox was wandering around the shore line.  When I arrived Carl, who had been there awhile, told I had just missed a Caspian Gull, I had to settle to see his photos.  Generally, the
Lagoons were fairly quite.  A Green Woodpecker did put in an appearance but little else.

I have just had the ringing details of a Lesser Black-backed Gull I spotted at Shawell late October.  It was ringed as a nesting adult at Orfordness (Suffolk) on 8th June 2011, since then reported in 2012 and 2015 at the same site, then my record at Shawell this year.   So at least five years old and showing some summer/nest site fidelity.  Does it stay the whole winter in the UK or move south, only more sightings will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment