Sunday 27 November 2016

27th Nov - broken cloud, light easterly, 8C

Well, today turned out pretty good.  I had a text from Chris to say he had three Common Scoter at Stanford reservoir in the morning, not that scarce in the right place, but we don't see many here, but I did not rush off. Having done my jobs I decided to head off to see them, I decided to go to the dam end and look over the deeper water and then walk down one side, but which side, I decided to walk done the north side as this would let me see the other bays at the lower end.  Anyhow, from the dam I could make out three ducks way out roosting that looked like Scoter.  A I made my way closer they became clearer, females/immature, but they had their heads tucked in and were doing nothing.  Eventually I got clearer views but to far off in the dull-ish weather for a photo.

I continued further to check the bays, Shoveler, Gadwall, Goosander and the other common duck were all present.  I then noticed a roving flock of Long-tailed Tits and other Tits/Goldcrests so decided to check them out thoroughly for a possible Firecrest (we have had them before in the winter).  Whoopee, the second small bird I looked at was a Firecrest - a very smart male, with a super orange central crown stripe.  I texted Chris, fortunately he was nearby and on arrival was also able to see the Firecrest.  This is a great bird to find, the ringers may catch one in their nets, but to find one roaming is really special here.

On the way back a grey Wagtail was foraging on the waterline at the dam, a very smart bird.

For the afternoon I headed off to Brandon Marsh, walking through nHorsetail glade there were some interestingn bracket fungi and another roving flock of Tits/Goldcrest/Treecreer and two Nuthatch was found, but nothing scarce this time.  A number of Chaffinch, Goldfinch and ~8 Siskin were feeding in an Alder tree.


On East marsh plenty of Teal and Shoveler, a male Goldeneye and two Pochard and all the other regulars. At the ted Jury hide a Peregrine was easily visible sitting and preening in the top of the first dead tree, with two Stock Doves in the opposite side of the tree.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment