Thursday 10 August 2017

10 Aug - sunny periods, 22C, light SW

Willey;  A Bullfinch was seen in the BH wood this morning.  This evening the Swallows were around the village this evening and sitting o the wires preening.  We have two pairs still feeding young in the nest, it will be a while before they fledge.

Ulverscroft Priory; During the afternoon I made visit to this area as the Bee-eaters which had been nesting at East Leake (which I saw earlier) have moved to this area, their nested failed.  It was a question of waiting and hoping they showed in the area they have been for the last 3 days or so.  While waiting 2 Raven were calling and circling high to the NE, also a Hobby was spotted feeding in the similar area.  Three Spotted Flycatchers were feeding along the woodland edge.

Eventually some folks along the track saw 3 Bee-eaters fly passed quickly, I heard them calling but could not see them from my view-point.  Nor did I seen them again before I left.  However, others who came later did see 7 Bee-eaters, Chris Hubbard was able to photograph some of them roosting,   I'l have to wait to hear if they are seen again before making a return trip.
Photo Chris Hubbard

No comments:

Post a Comment