Tuesday 1 August 2017

1st August 2017 - sunny spells, 20C, light-mod SW

Willey; A Grey heron was flushed off the top pond this morning.

Stanford reservoir; 'One that got away' - just a I parked my car I had a text from Chris with a picture asking me for my thoughts of the birds identity.  After eliminating the obvious species I decided it was likely a Bairds Sandpiper and texted Chris back.  I picked up my scope and bins from the car and proceeded quickly to where Chris was - however, when I got there it had flown.  we and other spent the rest of the evenign searching but failed to find it again.   here are a couple of record digiscoped photos chris managed.


If any reader, especially those in the US, agrees or disagrees with the identity please add a comment.

An annual vagrant to the UK in small numbers.  No doubt the weather coming over the Atlantic has aided its arrival from North America here.

Also present were 6 Common Sandpipers, 5 Little-ringed Plovers and a Greenshank.

No comments:

Post a Comment