Friday 25 March 2016

25th March - sunny, some patchy cloud mid afternoon onward, breeze/light wind NW/W, max 14C

An early visit to the local lake did not produce as much as I expected.  Plenty of Little Grebe 'trilling' and one collecting nest material, I could see 5 adults in total.  A pair of Bullfinches were present, with the male giving song.  Yellowhammer, Chaffinch and Skylarks were all singing on the neighbouring fields.
As I waited, quiet and still, I noticed a Fox walking along the path towards me, I waited, camera ready, as it came in to full view I was able to get a quick photo before it went under cover.  No doubt it has cubs somewhere and is looking for food.
Next stop was Shawell lagoons, for gulls and a possible an early Little Ringed Plover.  On the middle bank I noticed the juvenile Iceland Gull, the same one as the previous visit.  However, all was not well as one wing was damaged and hanging, touching the ground, see photo, center front bird.  I assume it can still fly, but its prospects are not good in this state. I did not see it fly while I was there.
Unfortunately, no LRP today, but the Shelduck pair were present again. a male bullfinch and green Woodpecker added colour.

The local reservoir during the afternoon was visited next, much quieter than I expected, but with effort some 45 bird species were found.  My first butterflies of the Spring, a Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell were spotted too.

On the water, some 60 Wigeon were still here, a single drake Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, c25 Goldeneye, 4 Goosanders, 20 Pochard and numerous Tufted Duck.  Around the reservoir there was a Treecreeper, Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker, 22 Fieldfare and 2 Redwing.  Goldcrest, one singing, several pairs of long-tailed Tits, 20+ Tree Sparrows, Linnets and Bullfinches were seen.  4 Meadow Pipits and singing Skylarks on the adjacent fields.

The 'white' Chinese Goose (farmyard) was still present, I wonder where this came from!



No comments:

Post a Comment