Saturday 28 May 2016

28th May - sunny and warm, 18C, light NW

Late morning I visited the local lake to see what was about, especially Dragonflies, unfortunately none were found.  However, the Mute Swans still have their nine cygnets, a Little Grebe was feeding three reasonable sized youngsters (there is three pairs here), and the first young Coots are now big.


Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat were all singing, a Green Woodpecker called and a single Swallow visited the lake.  A Buzzard circled high overhead, while the Reed Bunting sang and a cock Pheasant displayed making the distinctive call and wing flapping.

A Large White butterfly was seen along with a male and female Orange-tip.  The female Orange-tip may be mistaken for a 'Small White' as it does not have the orange wing tips.


I then spotted a day flying moth, yet to be ID'd.


This afternoon I visited my Brothers, there is a small lake and other good habitat, orchard etc.  Recently they have seen a Grass Snake and I was hoping it would be out sun bathing.  I did not see it, but I did see a small Grass Snake, about 10 inches long, slide in to cover, so they must have bred which is great news.

On the lake a Moorhen had two chicks and was giving the warning call and flashing its white under tail coverts at me in alarm.


In a nearby Ash tree a Starling had young, and was bringing food, in an old Green Woodpeckers hole.  I later noticed a Grey Squirrel climb down the tree, so I hope it did not raid the nest as they are quite prone to do so.  Later a group of about 15 Starling, mostly this years young were squabbling and feeding on the grass field.

A pair of Goldfinch were in the trees, the male occasionally singing, at least three Blackbird were singing and defending territory, then a Song Thrush joined in singing loudly.  There are a least  four Swallows present, building nests in a shed.

My sister-in law then said there was a bird trapped in the back porch area, on checking it was a Spotted Flycatcher, I was very surprised.  It got out safely through the open door and flew to the nearby Horse Chestnut.  Near the door there are a number of creepers on the house walls, I wonder if it was investigating a possible nest site.  Let's hope it succeeds.




No comments:

Post a Comment