Wednesday 17 August 2016

17th Aug - sunny and very warm, 24C, light breeze.

Carl called me late afternoon to say he had seen two Caspian Gulls at Shawall lagoons and the landfill, so I made my way there for the evening.  Carl was still there and was able to put me on them among the several hundred gulls present.  One a juvenile and another probably a third summer plumed bird.  You can see photos on Carl's blog - 'bagawildone'.  All the other usual gulls were present, only a couple of Black-headed.  Still waiting for the first Autumn Common Gull here.

The mixed flock of Canada and Greylag Gese were parent, a Grey Heron flew in and started fishing. there Little Grebe were on the south lagoon again, as were the Tufted Duck family and a few others.  A juvenile Chaffinch flew in to the hedge and a Chiffcahff called, a few Swallows flew over the water.

Three Foxes were feeding on the sand, causing only a little disturbance to the Gulls and Lapwing, I would have though this family would have split by now as I saw them earlier in the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment