Monday 14 November 2016

14th Nov - cloudy, light SW breeze, mild 13C

I checked what was coming to the feed station late morning, single Coal Tit, Nuthatch and Tree Sparrow, about 20 House Sparrrows, several Great and Blue Tits, Chaffinch, Jackdaws and a couple of Magpie.  Five Greenfinch were around and sometimes feeding, a male Bullfinch was eating Blackberries on a nearby bramble in the hedge.

It became noticeable that a steady stream of Redwing and some Fieldfare were flying in from the north, most were resting in the Ash saplings along the old railway track.  Flying over the paddock were Collard Doves, a Pied and Grey Wagtsil. A Mistle Thrush flew in to the church Yew tree.

After lunch I made a visit to the local lake, fairly quiet, except a possible missed sighting.  I was peering through the willows, not to disturb anything on the water, when a fairly large brown bird rose from the reeded area at the inlet and flew low away from me, seemingly settling in the reeds a little further to my right.  I had very poor, brief, partial views and did not identify it, but I do wonder if it was a Bittern!
A flock of Long-tailed Tits were feeding, with several Bullfinch calling. A single Little Grebe was seen, the Mute Swan family still, the juvs becoming whiter now.  Two Jays were noisy in the hedge nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment