Sunday 25 November 2018

25th Nov - cloudy becoming sunny spells, 8C, light NE/E

Monks Kirby; a look near the entrance to Newnham P:addox, last year there was a good Chaffinch flock with a few Brambling.  Today, no sign of a repeat, although 12+ Chaffinch around the small entrance coppice, c20 Redwing and 2 Greenfinch.

Rutland Water; I was always intending to visit here today to catch up with a few birds, especially the Red-necked Grebe. it had been reported off Old Hall so I visited there first. After over an hour searching it had not been seen, nor by others, but I stuck at it.  Eventually another birder told me it had been seen some way behind me, and within 5 minutes it was found washing and preening.  About the same time the Great Norther Diver appeared a little further off shore.

In this south arm area there was a good number of other wildfowl, Wigeon, Tufted, Teal, Gadwall, Mallard and distantly quite a few Red-crested Pochard near distant hides the I didn't count but more than 10+.  On the shore Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails were feeding, with a Wren exploring the boulders.

A Red-throated Diver (juv) had been found during the morning and I heard it was now visible from the peninsular, so I decided to give it a go.  It was visible quite well off the Whitwell creek area, feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment