Sunday 19 January 2020

19th Jan -frost last night -3C - sunny, 6C, light W

Another sunny day so I decided to make a visit to Rutland Water, hoping to see some of the winter visitors we don't get locally..

I had the north arm to myself, plenty of duck, 5 Red-crested Pochards and Egyptian Geese too.  Plenty of Little Grebe and Great-crested, good views of the Slavonian Grebe.  On the far side a Lapwing flock and a Redshank was calling in flight.  Little Egret were dotted all around, plus a few Grey Heron.

I later moved to the Egleton reserve area.  As I walked passed lagoon 1 to start at the Lapwing hide I heard a Curlew calling, on the lagoon Icould see 3 Smew swimming off, a male and 2 redheads.  Also, near the path to Redshank hide a few Siskin and Goldfinch were in the alders, a small flock of Chaffinch were in the leaf litter and searching through I found a Brambling.

From the Lapwing hide all the usual waterfowl were visible, including a few more Red-crested Pochard.  Then I noticed 2 Black-necked Grebes mid distance.  Walking back to the Shoveler hide next.  Another Black-necked Grebe was present, Among the Duck at least 4 Scaup, plenty of Shoveler here too and Great Egrets were close by.

On lagoon 1 the Smew were still present, 5+ Great Egret and all the other usual waterfowl. I found 5 Stonechat on the marsh and reedy areas.






No comments:

Post a Comment