Sunday 17 May 2020

17th May - sunny spell, light W, 20C

Now the lock down rules have eased allowing travel a little further I was able to visit a couple of sites.

Croft Hill; first visit this year, rather late for migrants but good to check the site.  A small number of Linnet and Goldfinch were in one area.  Warblers singing included Whitethroat, Chiffchaff and Blackcap.




Kinewell Lake/Ringstead Gravel Pit; Yesterday a male red-footed Falcon was reported here, a site I am not familiar with. Checking its location I found it is much closer than I expected, so when I heard it had been sighted again mid-morning, I decided there was nothing to loose and go for a look.

I located a good watch point giving views of the sky and lake, a handful of other birders were present and keeping a respectable distance from each other.  The bird had been seen a little while earlier, but was feeding high at times with several Hobby, and also moving around the lakes area.

At times five Hobby were together.  After about 30 mins of searching a single falcon flew low and close, good views quickly confirmed it as the Red-footed Falcon.  It then moved off to the other side of the lake and high. Some time later I picked it up again feeding along the Poplar tree line.  I was lucky to see it, and so quickly after arriving, others were not so lucky.

A good selection of other birds were seen while here given its also quite a popular place for folks to go walking.





No comments:

Post a Comment