Saturday 29 April 2023

29th April - 16C, light SSE, sunny spells, light showers late pm

Shawell sandpit/landfill; 

I was lucky as I spotted a 'blackbird' fly in to the top of a tree - itds jizz didnt look right for a Blackbird, and when I got the scope on it I was viewing a female Ring Ouzel.  It then dropped down and out mof view, I didn't re-locate it.

Also present was the Egyptian Goose pair and their , now large, goslings (8 still).  25 Ravens, 6 Red Kites.

 A Great-crested  Grebe pair is now present and were displaying - so will they breed?

Rutland Water;
I visited here this afternoon, one bird to see was the  Slavonian Grebe in summer plumage. which rare to see in the Midlands.  Fortunately, it was still in the north arm and showing well, I managed some record photos.



A good selection of other birds on the Egleton reserve including a female Scaup, marsh Harrier pair, a Water Rail,heard, Avocet, Redshank, Ringed Plover and Dunlin.  

I never found the drak Garganey though.

No comments:

Post a Comment