Sunday 1 July 2018

30th June - sunny and hot, 28C, light easterly

Badby Woods; I was planning a visit to a woodland for butterflies, then earlier this week a Firecrest was reported here,. I’ve never been here so I thought it was a good idea.  On arrival within 10 minutes of entering the wood I could here the Firecrest and soon had views, there was another crest nearby too, but I could not see it well to confirm its identity, probably a Goldcrest though.  The usual woodland species were soon found, including families each of of Marsh and Coal Tits.
There were a good mumber of butterflies active, n fact too active making it difficult to see them well. At least 1 silver-winged Fritilliary though, and these - I think Beautiful Demoiselle - female and male, although usually near waterways they do occur in woodland too.




Brandon Marsh; I visited here in the evening, plenty of Black-tailed Skimmers about.  Birds included 5 Little-ringed Plover, Redshank, Lapwing and Oystercatchers. 3broods of Tufted Duck, 1, 5 and 7 ducklings respectively.  A selection of other residents/summer migrants, but I think most were still sheltering from the heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment