Monday 14 September 2015

14th September
A day of some showers with a thunderstorm and heavy downpour, with hail, at about 1545h, warm though.

Just after one heavy shower this afternoon I noticed quite a lot of small bird activity in the thick church lane hedge.  Quickly grabbing my bins I could see a Coal Tit and several Chiffchaffs, plus Blue and Great Tits making their way along the hedge. This was interrupted by the thunderstorm, however as soon as this ceased the bird activity was even greater and I quickly found two Spotted Flycatchers on the hedge, followed by a Lesser Whitethroat.  All on migration southwards, no doubt having to sit out the storm.

Today, so far, I've seen about 6 Swallows together, maybe some left, but they may just be avoiding our local weather.

Autumn is a great time for searching out mushrooms and toadstools - so keep you eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment