Thursday 21 January 2016

21st - January - frosty start, cloudy. Breeze picking up from SW,and warming

About 1030h a 'charm' of ~30 Goldfinch flew round the village, these are visiting a couple of gardens with feeders.

Just after noon I got a text from Carl he had found a juvenile Glaucous Gull on the ice at Shawell lagoons, so I just had to pop there having so far missed them there.  On arrival the frozen lagoons were covered in gulls, fortunately Carl was still there and able to point me in the right direction.  For those not too good on juvenile gulls, this Glaucous is standing, a little haunched in the center of the photo.


Just as I was taking my first look at the juv through Carl's scope, he said another Glaucous had just landed nearby, amazing.  This one was a 2nd winter bird and much 'cleaner and whiter' looking than the juvenile, just showing a light bill tip after the black area.



No comments:

Post a Comment