Saturday 30 January 2016

30th January - rain last night, sunny spells, keen westerly, feeling cool, 8C

This weekend is the national RSPB 'big garden birdwatch' survey.  I and 2 other villagers did their count this morning, some may do it tomorrow;  I will summarise the birds seen in the village when the results are in.  I did note a Moorhen crossing the road to the village pond first thing.

This afternoon I visited Shawell lagoons hoping for some scarce gulls, however gulls were few and far between, mainly Black-headed and Common Gulls.  Although there seemed plenty in the fields and flying heading to the landfill, they did not want to come to the lagoons.  Some 35+ Wigeon, 3 Mute Swans, a Great-crested Grebe, Tufted Duck and Mallard were present.

I decided to visit the local lake area, this was also very quite with only the regulars present.

Moving on to investigate some nearby rough area and farmland there was a nice mixed flock of Fieldfare, Redwing and Chaffinh feeding.  In the distance a size-able flock of finches kept flying from a stubble field to hedgerow trees and back. Unfortunately they were distant and I was looking in to the low sun, so could not be sure, size and jizz suggested Linnets.  I'll have to try another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment