Friday 15 April 2016

14th April - cloudy morning, sunny spells pm and warm, 16C max, light breeze

I made a visit to Misterton church area this morning, to count the Rooks nests as part of my annual survey,  it has a good variety of mature wood, lakes and pasture and can attract migrants and other wildlife.  2, maybe 3, Nuthatch were calling from territories, a male Blackcap was collecting nest material, in between spells of singing.  Other summer warblers and usual resident birds were singing and defending territories.

Later I visited the local lake area, a couple of Small Tortoiseshell butterflies were out, and Toads were croaking in the reeds.  Birdwise the usual candidates were present, but surprisingly quite.  Several patches of Cowslip are just coming into bloom.




1 comment:

  1. I love cowslips. So iconic. Reminds me of my childhood playing in what used to be common meadow land.

    ReplyDelete