Thursday 21 April 2016

20th April - grass frost followed by sunny day, warming pm to 17C

Another sunny day - what's happening!

A Mallard duck flew out of the big bales under the storage barn in the fields, on the second bale up we found a nest with 9 eggs.  Fortunately, we can leave the bales and she seems to be sitting tight.  How she found this place that is disturbed every day one wonders.

We have 3 or 4 Swallows back in the village now.  One was sitting on an out twig of an Ash tree, about 40ft up, singing away - until a Blue Tit chased it off.  Not seen this before as they usually sit singing on the telegraph wires.

An evening visit to the local reservoir produce two Munjac enjoying the sun, a buck and doe.

Notable birds were a pair of Gadwall and a single drake Goldeneye.  Two Lesser Whitethroats sang and my first site Sedge Warbler for the year.  Four Yellow Wagtails sat in the top of the popular trees, a favourite spot for them, then they flew off into the adjacent field.  A Stock Dove flew over in to the wood and heard singing later.

A Treecreeper was calling and singing, I was able to get a reasonable photo - when I looked at the photo I could see the bird had been ringed, digits 67 were legible, I am hoping I can trace some info about the bird.  Note; The bird was ringed last year at this side.



2 comments:

  1. I shall really look forward to hearing when the ducklings have hatched! Am wondering which is our local reservoir Sreve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall keep an eye on the duck, hopefully she is safe and successfully hatch. They will then have cross a field' to the nearest pond that is about 300 yds away.
      The reservoir I refer to is Stanford reservoir that is actually on the Leices/Northants border.

      Delete