Wednesday 8 June 2016

8th June - Sunny and hot again, 25C, a touch humid, very light breeze

This morning a Grey Heron was at the top pond looking for food.  There is also a drake Mallard on the there, he tends to hide when you approach, I bet his mate is sitting on eggs nearby.

I saw my first Painted Lady of the year flying along a farm track next to a hay meadow.  I have heard there has supposedly been an influx from Europe, so expect to see more.

Mid-day a distant Raven was heard call the far side of the Long spinney, but not visible.

This afternoon I visited my brothers lake hoping to catch the Grass Snake sunning itself (sorry Graham), I did find one, coiled in the grass in a shady spot, it clearly was most happy.
Over the lake I spotted two species of Dragonfly, the Four-spotted Chaser (2 females) and Emperor (2 male), these were very active feeding, luckily they briefly settled.  The Emperor is at least twice as long at the FSC, but you can't tell this from the photos.


Being a very hot afternoon birds were keeping in the shade too.  A Blackcap and Goldcrest sang next to the lake, a Buzzard circled overhead and the breeding Swallows were feeding over the fields.  Several Goldfinch were around, surely nesting in one of the many trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment