Tuesday 27 December 2016

27th Dec - Night frost, Sunny, becoming cloudy, still, 3C

First thing there were at least 25 Redwings feeding in the sheep pasture in the Perkins area and the Mistle Thrush was on the telegraph wires again.  The Green Woodpecker was calling often close to the village this morning too.

I visited the local lake before lunch, nothing new but plenty of Blue Tits feeding in the Alders, a couple of Goldfinch too and a Long-tailed Tit flock searching the thicket, with a pair of Bullfinch nearby.  The Mute Swam family was on the lake and three Little grebe, apart from Mallard no other duck were present.  A Water Rail was briefly seen in the reeds.

After lunch I was about to leave for Brandon Marsh when I got a message that a Long-tailed Duck was at Stanford reservoir, so I headed off there.  Long-tailed Ducks are scare in the Midlands and very infrequent at Stanford res, this is my first here.  On arrival I scanned the reservoir but could not see it, so I headed closer to the last reported area, another patch birder was the other side looking towards my direction, a quick call to him was able to put me on the bird.  Some good views showed it to be an immature or female in winter plumage.  A little distant for my camera, but I got some record photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment