Thursday 24 May 2018

24th May - cloudy am, sunny pm, breezy NE, 22C

Willey; I'm sure at least one pair of Goldfinch has a nest in the church Horse Chestnut tree as they are visiting it regulatory and the male is singing all the while.

Stanford reservoir; a text came through late afternoon that there may be White-winged Black terns in, however I could not make it for a while.  Chris was able to get there and confirm they were actually Black Terns, 7 of them.  When I got there they were still present and it was great to watch so many of these elegant Terns flying together.  Possibly the largest number of these Terns we have ever had here, in fact there was a small movement through the Midlands today with others being found elsewhere.

Surprisingly, when I arrived I first checked the dam, which was good as there was a Greenshank feeding there.  Quite a few Swifts were also feeding overhead.  During a walk along the side I also found a Small Copper butterfly, first here this year.













No comments:

Post a Comment