Friday 19 October 2018

19th Oct - mist/fog early clearing to mostly sunny, 16C, light W

North Kilworth; there is a fallow field here that has lots of vegation/weed growth and I have meaning to have a look for a while. There were small numbers 10-20 of Yellowhammer, Reed Buntings, Meadow Pipits, Skylark and a few Goldfinch and Chaffinch. A Sparrowhawk flew through hunting too.  Another field worth checking as autumn/winter progresses.

Brandon Marsh; I had heard that a Short-eared Owl had been sighted here at lunch time, so I decided to have a look. Firstly over Newlands marsh from Albion’s bench area, not much was showing so I decided to head off to the Ted Jury hide to view from there. A Snipe was sitting camouflaged not far away and 2 Stonechat were out on the marsh, other birds included 10 Stock Dove, 6 Linnet plus and other regulars that provided distraction while waiting, like this Magpie. Then a brief flight view of the Owl before dropping down in to cover.  No further sightings before I had to leave, earlier than I would have liked due to an appointment. Maybe it will hang around a few days?




No comments:

Post a Comment