Thursday 27 July 2017

27th July - steady SSW, cool, showers

Holyhead Old harbour; First stop early morning was the old harbour area to look for Black Guillemot, I found 4 just outside the habour on the sea.




Several Shag sat on the large tall harbour buoy with a single Great-black backed Gull.  Then 2 Raven flew in and landed on the end of the quay, they began to search through various items associated with fishing and pallets left on the quay side.  I've never been so close to Ravens before, they looked even larger this close.





South Stack; It was pretty windy here making viewing difficult, with occasional spats of rain and the brisk wind was cool.  Most of the cliff nesting birds had left but a small number of Guillemot and Razorbill were present, no Puffin were seen.  Chough were flying around and twisting in the wind, one flock of 6 tumbled down the cliff.

Off-shore several Gannet and a good number of Manx Shearwater were feeding over the swell, but not much else was moving about.

After a lot of searching and not much to show for it it was time to head off to find Dipper on the return journey.

Langollen;  I stopped off at Llangollen, which is an interesting place, particularly the river that flows through it for Dipper.  The usual place I have seen Dipper was rather busy with folks out on the rock so I headed to a place I could view further upstream away from them.  After an hour or more I had not seen a dipper, a Grey Wagtail, House and Sand Martins though.

I decided to head back to the main road bridge and look down stream, while on the bridge a steam train came in to the station.

Just over the bridge, downstream, 4 Mandarin Duck were working their way up the side, mostly under cover, they seem to like this river and are doing well here.



I had another look the other side of the bridge and there was a single Dipper feeding not too far away, so I managed some record photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment