Thursday 6 July 2017

5th July - sunny, hot, 26C, light breeze

Willey; this afternoon while tidying in the church yard I noticed a near scurrying by the base of the stone wal, too quick to see which species.  I have found Great-crested Newt here before - I wonder if this was one too.

Shawell Lagoons; I dropped in here early evening for a quick look. On the shore 20 Lapwings and a Little-ringed Plover were present.  These are my first autumn Lapwing flock here, although Stanford reservoir is not far in a direct flight line.  A few Black-headed and Lesser-black Backed Gulls were in having a wash, a couple of Grey Herons, a Moorhen, 25 Tufted Duck, c10 Mallard, 5 Canada Geese and 5 Mute Swans.  A Reed Warbler was spotted in the small Reed bed, a Chiffchaff and Song Thrush sang in their territories.

A Fox was wandering along the rear of the shore, as usual the Lapwing just kept a watching eye on it, but it disappeared in to the thicket.

No comments:

Post a Comment