Tuesday 10 January 2017

10th Jan - cloudy am, clearing to give sunny intervals pm, light SW, 9C

First thing this morning I could here one, maybe two, Marsh Tits calling in the Long Spinney to the west of the village.  This is a place I am now most likely to hear/see them these days.

During an errand in Hinckley my attention was was drawn by a noisy Black-headed Gull above the town that was harassing a Sparrowhawk lazily going over.

Getting back to the village there were nine Magpies squabbling on the lane as I drove along it.

During the afternoon I made a short visit to the pools at Cotesbach to see if the sandpiper was still present - it was not.  Another Sparrowhawk flew over (I saw one as I drove there, that's three today). The Kestrel was hunting again, and at least two Buzzard were in the area, one eating while sitting in a tree.  A Coal Tit was calling from a tree top and ~20 Redwing were in the bushes.  On the open area between the pools 18 Pied Wagtail and a single  Meadow Pipit were feeding.

On the sheep pasture to the east of the village about 50 Fieldfare were feeding during the late afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment