Monday 2 January 2017

2nd Jan - Frost last night -3C. Sunny, light breeze NW, 4C

I popped up to Hinckley this morning to see a Waxwing that had been reported feeding in road side trees.  It had flown off across the housing estate, so I decided to walk along a likely area that had lots of bushes, fortunately I caught sight of someone waving me at the original site so I walk back to find the Waxwing had returned.  I had good views of it, but I was the wrong side of the tree for decent photos.  Also feeding in the trees were a few Redwing and Fieldfare.


I made my first of the year visit to Stanford reservoir this afternoon, the sun was bright and nearly still.

There were about 50 Linnets on the game cover crop, with a few Chaffinch and about 30 Redwings feeding on the ground next to them.  On the water there were plenty of duck, at least 30 Shoveler were busy feeding in their circular manner.  The 'redhead' Smew was seen and then quickly lost, it manages to become invisible very quickly.  Over 30 Goosanders were present, not sure why bu they seem to prefer the shallow inlet area.
On the adjacent field six Little Egret and two grey Heron were resting while 3 more were at the inlet, making my highest count here for quite a while.  In all I saw 50 bird species during my walk.

A Fox , Muntjac and Rabbit were also seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment