Sunday 29 January 2017

29th Jan - Frost last night, broken cloud giving steady rain from mid-day, 7C

Because of the wet weather forecast I visited Stanford reservoir this morning, on arrival I bumped in to Mike Alibone who was scanning the water from the inlet and had spotted 3 Pintail some distance off, I did find them later - a drake and female.  Just past the inlet 15 Little Egrets were roosting in the Willows.  The number of Goosander has increased markedly over the last week, I counted 57, no doubt I missed some. The Long-tailed Duck was off the main reed bed, then flew in to the bay, where there was a 100+ Pochard.

Along the by-pass path 2 Lesser Redpoll, 3 Bullfinch, Blue, Great TIts, a Song thrush and 3 Redwing were busy feeding. Only a single Fieldfare was seen in the Hawthorn bushes. A Great-potted Woodpecker was drumming in the adjacent woodland.


No comments:

Post a Comment