Sunday 12 March 2017

12th March - light rain first thing, then slowly clearing with bright spell late pm, 14C, light SW

Early morning there was again Redwing movement to the SE, with two flocks heading that way ~40.

News of a Bonaparte's Gull at Swithland reservoir came through mid-morning - having sorted out all the ewes and lambs I decided I had time to go and see it, a first for me in the UK.   When I arrived I was informed it had flown off about 15 mins earlier.  So, I decided to go and wait on the dam area and hope it came back.  After only 10 mins a small flock of Gulls flew back and landed on the water, and there it was, bathing and preening giving good views, but too far for my camera.  A small gull, neat looking adult in winter plumage with extensive grey on its upper breast and sides, a visitor from North America.

Late afternoon I had a quick look at Cotesbach pools, here about 40 Fieldfare were feeding, with a few Redwing.  ~60 Pied Wagtail were still present and ~20 Meadow Pipits, a pair of goldfinch were also present.


No comments:

Post a Comment