Saturday 4 March 2017

4th March - sunny periods, light-fresh SE, 10C

This morning I popped in to view the field pools at Cotesbach, which after yesterdays rain were overflowing.  Feeding in the vegetation between the pools I counted 65 Pied Wagtails, all busy feeding, plus 1 Meadow  Pipit.  My highest count here this 'winter', I wonder where they go to roost.   A flock of ~ 50 Starling were also feeding, 3 Red-legged partridge flew off, while 3 Lapwing remained, one giving some display flight. Two pairs of Mallard were around, hopefully they will nest in this area.

After lunch I visited Cotesbach landfill to check out the Gulls, at first I was disappointed as there was only a few, ~ 100, present so hopes of finding much were low.  However, an adult Glaucous Gull was spotted sitting on a rubbish bag among other Gulls.  After watching it for a while I realised that it may have a colour ring on, so re-positioning a little closer I managed to get better views through the scope and sure enough it had a orange colour ring, too far to read the digits though.  However, Carl spotted a similar colour ringed Glaucous Gull on 11th February here and managed to read it.  It is very likely the same same as earlier, it was ringed at Pitsea landfill, Essex, UK in 2015.  Just think where this may have traveled in the intervening time, it has been recorded in Northamptonshire and Cheshire too.

The Gull flew off towards the lagoons site do I decided to see if I go find it there where a photo would be possible.  It was not there, little was initially one show.  With searching 30+ Tufted Duck and 31 Coot were present - where all the Coot have come from I don't know.  A single great-crested grebe was present and two immature Mute Swans on the water.  Sitting on the mid-bank was a Grey Heron, 2 lapwing  and 11 Canada Geese.  The Grey heron kept this pose for a long time, I then decided it was facing in to the wind and probably the most comfortable position to be in
In the boundary hedge a few small birds were found including Long-tailed tits and a Goldcrest, plus a couple of Goldfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment