Monday 10 April 2017

10th April - mostly cloudy am, sunny spells pm, 13C, moderate NW

The NW wind made it feel cool at times, and quite breezy.

This morning 2 Lapwing flew west over the village, I wonder if there will be staying local to breed, quite scarce breeders now where once common.  The Mistle Thrushes were having a battle with Magpies in the church yard Yew trees, probability where they have a next.  Mistle Thrushes are quite feisty birds and will persist, I hope they managed to chase of the Magpies successfully.

Each year I count the Rooks nests in my local 10Km square, I started this this morning by visiting Misterton where there is a group of 4 rookeries. There was a good selection of woodland birds including, Nuthatch, Great-spotted Woodpecker, Coal, Blue and Great Tits, Goldcrest, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, a Blackbird building a nest and several Song Thrush.  The distinctive 'croak' Made me look up to see 2 Ravens flying around before heading off, I wonder if they nested locally.

After lunch I made a visit to Stanford reservoir, many of the usual birds of the last week or so were still present.  New birds included a Common Sandpiper and a Yellow Wagtail - a nice bright male.  The Oystercatchers were present and mating, so hopefully soon will nest.

Single Swallows were seen over the water, but higher, sometimes very high were at least 300 Sand Martins, however I could not spot a House Martin with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment